Tuesday, April 26, 2011

We're All Cliches

I watch a performance of X-Ray Spex's "Oh Bondage! Up Yours!" and think, is cool dead?

I mean, I know it isn't, but it's not as easy to find anymore. Well, maybe it was tough to find back in the 70s as well. It's not like Poly Styrene was EVER in the American Top 40. Or 100. In the UK, "The Day The World Turned Day-Glo" reached No. 23 in April 1978, "Identity"  captured No. 24 in July 1978 and "Germ Free Adolescents" grabbed No. 18 in November 1978. Number 18 in America on Nov. 4? How about "Talking in Your Sleep" by Crystal Gayle? Not even "..Brown Eyes Blue"! Jeez.

I certainly wasn't aware of X-Ray Spex in their heyday. 1978? I was still listening to Donny & Marie and the "Grease" soundtrack on my tape recorder. Fact is, I never heard of them until a few years ago. Probably after reading Greil Marcus' "In the Fascist Bedroom." I'm terrifically hip after the fact.

What matters now and always is the music. Farewell, Poly! Thanks for the sounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment