Friday, April 29, 2011

You Say Nyro and I Say Nyro

I'd always pronounced it "Nigh-ro." I guess I'd never heard her name said, only read it. I listened to her music for years before I learned it's "Near-o." Like hero.

I can still recall the first moment I became aware of Laura Nyro. I was sitting in my car in a parking lot on the SUNY Farmingdale campus, waiting for my brother Jim to get out of a night class. I had a public radio station on (about the only way to hear anything interesting on Long Island at the time). "Up on the Roof" was playing. I was enraptured, as I often am with certain songs. "That's Laura Nyro singing..."

Hmm, well, I guess I would've had to hear her name pronounced. Chances are, the DJ said it wrong, as well. I'm not the only ignoramus. Nyro's given name is Nigro, with a long "i", so you'd think her new name would've kept the same long vowel. I used to know a Michael Nigro back in school. No relation, as far as I know.

Anyway, now I know how to say her name so I don't sound like a putz bringing her up at a barbecue.

I freaking love Laura Nyro. I probably listen to her music more than anyone else. Years ago I wrote a quick post about one of her album covers.

Now I've written another one. This one. Listen: this will either change your life or... nah, it'll change your life.

1 comment:

  1. at least something good came out of me taking those fucking night classes! i love this song. every version of it. but this is the best.

    p.s. i'm pretty sure we're the only people reading this blog, so these posts are really just documents of the conversations we'd be having anyway. which is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete